It’s finally starting to warm up around here and you know that means? It’s time to prepare for summer! Summer means sunny skies, hot beach days, campfires, and grilling in the backyard. In order to have the best summer ever, there are a few items we will need, especially if you are a mama like me:
🌞 water resistant sunscreen
🐜 outdoor spray for our bodies
🕷 indoor spray for our house
🦋 itch relief roller
🌱 after-sun gel
I don’t know about you, but I’ve searched near and far for some good, non-toxic options and there are very few to be had. After much frustration, I decided to create my own! My recipes are tried and true. I’ve used them on my family for two years now. These are actually some of the first DIYs I ever made when I first got my Essential Oils Premium Starter Kit 2 years ago! These aren’t only fun to make, they also smell #fabulous 🌸.
Alright, alright, I’ll stop rambling and just give you the recipes so you can try out the awesomeness for yourself:
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup almond or olive oil
1/4 cup beeswax
2 T. Shea butter
1 tsp vitamin E oil
1 tsp raspberry seed oil
10 drops Carrot Seed EO (Don’t use just any brand of essential oils as some can be laden with heavy metals, plasticizers and/or pesticides- I buy THESE)
10 Drops Lavender EO
5 Drops Frankincense EO
2 T. Non-nano zinc oxide powder
1. Melt the coconut oil, almond oil, beeswax and Shea butter in a double boiler until well combined (I just place a large measuring glass in a pot of simmering water and put the lotion ingredients in the measuring glass)
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. (Essential Oils should not be heated, otherwise they lose a lot of their medicinal properties). Then add the vitamin E oil, raspberry seed oil, and all your essential oils (most any other essential oils can be used here as well, but avoid citrus ones as they can make your skin a little more sensitive to light)
3. Very carefully stir in the zinc oxide, taking care not to breathe any in. Mix until smooth.
4. Pour into a silicone or glass container and let it return to room temperature.
5. Use as you would any sunscreen of SPF 15. The beeswax helps the sunscreen be water resistant, but be sure to reapply after swimming anyways, especially for children.
6. If the sunscreen becomes clumpy over time, scoop it back into a bowl and whip it with a mixer/blender until smooth again. This will make it easier to apply.
Now you can enjoy the sun without having to worry about how many chemicals are seeping into your or your children’s blood streams! #happymama
4oz Spray bottle
Fill 1/3-1/2 of the way with witch hazel (you can also use 2 tsp of Epsom salt here instead as this just helps the essential oils combine with the water)
Add 30 drops of essential oils —> see some suggestions below and grab the safest, purest essential oils HERE
Fill the rest of the way with water!
Lots of essential oils are great for helping us enjoy the outdoors annoyance free! Here are some of my favorite combos:
👉10 drops Cedarwood EO, 10 drops Tea Tree EO, 10 drops Citronella EO
👉10 drops Peppermint EO, 10 drops Tea Tree EO, 10 drops Eucalyptus EO
👉10 drops Lemongrass EO, 10 drops Basil EO, 10 drops Thyme EO
👉30 drops Purification EO (also makes a good bathroom 🚽 air freshener)
👉10 drops Tea Tree EO, 10 drops Rosemary EO, 10 drops Lavender EO (good option for keeping hair healthy & happy for kids before they go to school)
👉10 drops Lavender EO, 10 drops Eucalyptus EO, 10 drops Lemongrass EO
This recipe is basically the same as the outdoor spray but I use Peppermint and Spearmint and dilute more since I tend to spray down every corner of my basement every few days. At least my basement smells awesome!! 👏
8oz Spray bottle
2 Tablespoons of witch hazel or salt
20 drops Peppermint EO
10 drops Spearmint EO
Shake and spray everywhere liberally to keep your home pest free.
TIP: For ants 🐜, I’ve recently discovered that also sprinkling a little diamtoceous earth around the places they are entering from (doorways, etc) will really help keep them out 👏👍🏻👊🏽
🦋Itch Relief Roller🦂
10ml roller bottle
15 drops Lavender EO (Lavender is key here and it comes in the premium starter kit!)
5 Drops Chamomile EO
5 Drops Melrose EO
Fill the rest of the way with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil, V6 oil or sweet almond oil.
TIP: If you don’t have Chamomile or Melrose yet, replace them with Tea Tree or Frankinscense. Or just add more Lavender because Lavender is the most important oil here in my experience.
3-4 oz bottle of all natural aloe Vera (not the yucky dyed stuff you find at your local drug store, read the ingredients!)
-10 drops Lavender EO
-5 drops Peppermint EO
-3 drops Tea Tree EO (optional)
-3 drops PanAway EO (optional)
I add these right to the bottle of aloe, then mix/shake it up thoroughly before applying.
TIP: Prefer a cooling spray? Grab a 4 oz spray bottle, fill it almost half way with the aloe, add your essential oils, and then fill the rest of the way with water (preferably distilled water). Shake and mist your warm skin to cool it down! ❄️
That’s it! That’s all you need to know in order to have a wonderful, toxin-free summer! Living well doesn’t have to be difficult! Plus we will all smell amazing ALL THE TIME now 😁. See you at the beach 🏖!